Friday, May 25, 2012

...you are tired of plain old t-shirts.

Image from madewell.com.
They beckon to you from colorful tables.  Stacks of multi-hued, solid color t-shirts.  And you are drawn in to purchase a couple. They aren't expensive and they are fresh and fun!  Right?!
Image from scottsdalefashionista.com.
I always get sucked in at J. Crew or Madewell or the Gap, only to find I have the same 'tissue', 'v-neck', 'perfect fit', 'boat neck' t-shirt right at home already.  Yes, the lighter colored ones need to be replaced annually (especially the white ones), but really, do I need anymore plain t-shirts?!

On Tuesday, I started my annual hunt-for-the-non-t-shirt-t-shirt.  It's a sport that starts in May each year, as I comb my favorite retailers for something different, fresh, easy, a little more stylish, something that I can wear JUST LIKE A T-SHIRT over shorts and cropped denim, but THAT IS NOT A PLAIN T-SHIRT.  And it might be a t-shirt, with a twist in the cut of it, the fabric, the print.  Just something that's a little unique.  (I've been hot on tunics in the recent past as my go-to, so I'm trying to circumvent that habit too.)

It's tough out there.  I went back-to-basics at Nordstrom with Amy Swartz, our fabulous personal shopper.  Here were a couple of my finds.

I started with a top that a friend had purchased and I coveted.  (I'll apply the rules of what to do when your friend has the same piece of clothing.)  This Majestic t-shirt is simply fabulous, the croc print completely fresh and I had to have it.  You can dress this up and down.  Very versatile.
Image from nordstrom.com.
Next up, a knit tank (under which I'll be wearing a white tank - the double layer looks great!) from Joie, in a fabulous color-block.  Looks great with white shorts.
Image from nordstrom.com.
This Splendid 'sweatshirt' sure feels like a sweatshirt, and will look great over orange, white, or navy shorts, with a bunch of bracelets on one arm OR a pendant necklace.  I won't be wearing this 'out', but I'll certainly be wearing it to run errands.
Image from nordstrom.com.
I had seen this 10 Crosby Derek Lam sweater online, and Amy informed me it was on sale, so I'll be expecting it soon.  Thought it would be great with a pair of black espadrilles I just picked up.  Oh, and it has 'fringe' and I'm a sucker for texture.
Image from nordstrom.com.
And finally, this Soft Joie ikat t-shirt.  Apologies to my friend (same one with the croc t-shirt) who purchased this a month ago, but it was on sale.  And I love it.  And it goes really well with these linen, skinny cargo Theory pants I picked up on Tuesday too.  I know, excuses, excuses.
Image from nordstrom.com.
That's it for round 1, and I think I did pretty well.  I'll probably hit Calypso this weekend to see what they have, and then onto the Green Tangerine in Kennebunk, Maine, as the summer kicks off in June.  Stay tuned... ~ JH

No comments:

Post a Comment