Tuesday, May 1, 2012

...you are obsessed with silver drop earrings.

With a birthday approaching, dear husband is bugging me for birthday gift ideas.  The only thing that I can think of, and has been frustrating me completely, is that I really want some longer, silver earrings.

I wear a lot of navy and white in the spring, and some of these outfits are SCREAMING for a pair of earrings in this category.  You see, I've been following the rule I learned from Ines de la Fressange in her book, 'Parisian Chic', that Parisian women wear either earrings or a necklace, but never both together.  A bigger, dare I say 'statement', earring is needed.  But nothing too sparkly or fancy.  Something chic, easy to wear, fun.

So, here's what I've found after a comprehensive web search.  This Oscar de la Renta pair I found at Bergdorf Goodman was the front-runner, but they are 5" long.  They are the exact style I want, just about 1 1/2" to 2" too long.  Why can't they be shorter?!
Image from polyvore.com.
Next up, from Stella & Dot, these silver drop earrings, but are they just too ordinary?  They just might be.
Image from stelladot.com.
I was hunting around Ippolita's stuff on the web.  They make lovely drop earrings, but most of them have semi-precious stones in the design.  What do you think of these?  No stones, but also might be too plain.
Image from nordstrom.com.
I found these on Net-a-porter, by Rosantica, and I LOVE them, but no silver.  Just gold with a variety of colored stones.  An intense google search of Rosantica gave no further information.  (sigh)
Image from net-a-porter.com.
I digress.  These are NOT AT ALL what I'm looking for, but I did fall in 'like' with these Isabel Marant earrings while surfing on Net-a-porter.com.  They are pretty fab.  Not what I need, but at $95, they might have to come home. One word: tassels.
Image from net-a-porter.com.
Ok, back on track now.  What about these Chan Luu silver feather earrings?  Are they too heavy for spring/summer?  They are the right length - about 2 3/4" long.
Image from chanluu.com.
I remembered that Calypso St. Barth carried a line of jewelry, Morra Designs, that was simple but fun.  Searching Morra Designs website, there were a couple that caught my eye.  First, these large disc drop earrings, in silver.  The disc is about an inch in diameter, and the chain looks about an 1 1/2" long, equalling the perfect length of 2 1/2 inches. Thoughts?
Image from morradesigns.com.
Or how about these?  3 discs, about 1/2" in diameter each - adding up to around 2 1/2" with chains included?
Image from morradesigns.com.
Finally, these...which might be the ones (other than those fabulous Isabel Marant ones!).  Me & Ro, jewelry designers to the stars (or at least Julia Roberts, who put their tiny little Soho outpost on the map), have some amazing pieces.  These silver, graduated disc earrings are lovely - approximately 2 5/8" long.  Kind of love, but are they enough of a 'statement'?
Image from meandrojewelry.com.
Decisions, decisions.  Which would you pick?  Would love feedback in the 'comments' section! ~ JH

3 comments:

  1. I like the morra silver disc..they scream summer

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love, love, love statement earrings! I am partial to the Stella & Dot links as I have them and love them. Paired with the Odette cuff which is hand sculpted, shiny white metal bands that intertwine creating a visually striking cuff. I also love both colors of the large disk drop earrings you have pictured...:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sisi from Helena, MontanaMay 2, 2012 at 4:25 PM

    I love the Isabelle Maurant earrings. The tassels are so popular now, and these earrings aren't too obviously tassel'ly I od'ed on silver in the late '90's so it'd be hard to get be back unless its a brushed silver/pewter a bit like the Morra ones. Let us know what you choose and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

    ReplyDelete