Wednesday, September 3, 2014

My September Obsession - Brogues and Oxfords

My September obsession started back in August with a photo of a W by Worth outfit at the Fall 2014 show. This is what started it all:
Image from wbyworth.com.
I thought, well, I have a ton of jeans I can roll up just like that, and those shoes are pretty cute with that look.  Brogues, oxfords, whatever you want to call them.  They were interesting.  Hummm...

I'm always looking for something between the ballet flat and the boot.  Easy for everyday wear in the fall and cooler months.  Heck, in 2012 we discussed it!  So I made a mental note to keep an eye out while shopping and try on a pair or 2 when I saw some.  It was love at first sight at Steven Alan.  I fell in love with these Rachel Comey brogues even before they were on my feet.
Images from Jennifer Houston.
I LOVE the perforated toe box and the color.  Problem?  Steven Alan stocked them in whole sizes only.  My size?  8 and a 1/2.  Grrrr.  A very helpful salesperson told me she would call their buyer and see if she should get my size.  I left her with my phone number and crossed my fingers.

About a week later, I got the news.  Steven Alan didn't order half sizes, and while she hated to send my business elsewhere, she told me that rachelcomey.com had them online.  

I pause to say this:  When experimenting with a new 'look', I like to purchase at stores with more liberal return policies.  That way, when I get the item home and play with it, I can return it if it doesn't work out.  I put these items in the 'holding area'.  Once they make it to the closet, they are staying forever.

Rachel Comey online has a very short, 14 day return policy.  EEK. But my love for these shoes won and with a few clicks, they were mine.  

Now what do I do with them?  I texted Lisa a few times to see if I should keep them.  I had a friend over to look at me style them.  I looked around online.  I think I've figured out how to wear brogues this fall:
  • They look great with rolled up jeans - denim, black, white - any color will do.  They are an everyday, work-horse shoe.
  • Because of the structure of the shoe, they need to be paired with a less structured outfit or top.  Think silk blouse, unstructured sweater.  Pair these 'tough' shoes with something more 'delicate'.
  • The right day dress looks amazing with them. Again, stick to unstructured.  
  • If your look is still a little too masculine, add a scarf to soften the look even more.
  • Skip socks.  Just saying.
Check out these inspirational looks I found on Pinterest:
Images from pinterest.com.
I put a Polyvore set together below with more ideas.  Try on a pair next time you see one - you might be surprised! ~ JH

W2WW - Wearing Brogues

No comments:

Post a Comment