Thursday, December 20, 2012

...you are hosting the holiday.


This is always tricky.  You have family coming over or staying with you, your kitchen is full of people, the oven(s) is(are) on, and you feel like you are going from one meal to the next.  How can you look stylish and together when your head is in the oven all day?

Here are a couple of tricks I've learned over the years that I thought I'd share with you:
  • Wear short sleeves, regardless of your outfit being a dress, top and skirt, or top and pants.  Do you really want to cook in a heavy sweater or long sleeve blouse?  I don't.
  • If you are going to wear heels, try wedges or stacked heels.  I can't help myself.  I love heels.  I have a couple of good wedges or stacked pairs that work well for being on your feet all day.
  • Beware of 'dangling jewelry' and scarves.  I can't tell you how many times I've almost burned a scarf leaning over the stove.  With the additional frenzy of the holidays, leave the scarf in your dresser.  Ditto with pendant necklaces, etc.  Last thing you need is for your pendant necklace to take a dip in the gravy.
  • Stay away from wool and leather.  Jersey, either cotton and silk, is a great material.  Silk blouses are good, light-weight options.
Finally, from a good friend, don't forget to set up a 'lip stick station' in your nearest bathroom or near a mirror.  At the beginning of the day, put your lip stick or gloss, a pressed powder compact, and brush or powder puff in your 'station'.  Over the course of the day, refresh!  You'll be happy to look refreshed instead of shiny when you sit down for dinner.  My 'station' is always in my 1/2 bath in the drawer under the sink. 

Best of luck over the next week, and all the best to you and yours. ~ LB & JH

W2WW Hosting the Holidays


Diane von Furstenberg wool sweater / Theory / Joie cap sleeve t shirt / Cartier / Michael Kors straight leg pants, $330 / Theory tailored pants / J.Crew twill skirt, $260 / Jimmy Choo wedge shoes / Kate Spade / Ivanka Trump wedge shoes / Tory Burch shoes / J.Crew white pearl necklace / J.Crew j crew jewelry / J.Crew knotted bracelet / Tiffany & Co. jewelry / Stella & Dot gold ball earrings / Bottega Veneta sterling silver bangle bracelet / Morra Designs yellow gold jewelry / Tory Burch belt

No comments:

Post a Comment