Thursday, September 13, 2012

...it's Fall 2012: Peplum

Peplum is huge this fall.  What is peplum?  It's a short, flared or gathered piece of material attached to a garment of clothing at a woman's waist.  Every catalogue this season has a piece or 2 and the mannequins in stores are wearing it.  It's on tops, dresses, skirt waists and sweaters.  I have to admit, it's taken me a little bit to be convinced of this look.  I have hips, and therefore thought that peplum would make my hips even bigger than they are.  Not a good look; my hips are big enough without extra fabric floating around them.

But, a little top from W by Worth has made me change my mind and I want everyone to try out a little peplum!  This is the top in question (mine is black though, not brown):
Image from pinterest.com.
It's ponte knit with a lace overlay and zipper up the back.  I have to say, it changed my mind completely!   The peplum didn't exaggerate my hips as I thought it would and actually defined my waist nicely.

So, the question was, do I get this or another piece?  In all honesty, I think everyone should start with ONE key peplum piece this fall.  Just one.  See how you like it before diving into the deep end of the peplum pool.  Then the question is, do you go with something dressy or more casual, everyday.

Because I needed a dinner kind of outfit for a family event, this top worked for me.  I will be paring it with a black pencil skirt (also with lace overlay) and some grey suede heels.  Since it also looks great over pants, I hope use it several times this fall and winter.  

If you think you want your peplum to be dressy, look for it in silk tops, skirts or dresses.  I love the detail on this flower print, peplum top from Zara, and can see this too over a pencil skirt, or as they show it, with pants.  And, at $59.90, it's a nice way to try out the trend without breaking the bank.
Image from zara.com.
When I've seen peplum on dresses, they have usually been solid color garments with the peplum breaking up the column of color.  This Sandro dress is great and I could see it easily on a brunette with an oxblood pump accessorized with gold jewelry.
Image from net-a-porter.com.
If you want a little less of a ruffle, check out this dress from Tibi.  The peplum is stitched down and more subtle.  I love the cobalt blue!
Image from nordstrom.com.
Lisa scored this top at the Nordstrom anniversary sale, capturing 2 fall trends in one:  leather and peplum.  By Halogen, this top has a leather front, jersey back, and we can see it over jeans as well as a bright pencil skirt.
Image from nordstrom.com.
For 'everyday' peplum, there are some fun choices out there.  Tory Burch is showing this peplum sweater and, cleverly, features a couple of ways to wear it.  
Images from toryburch.com.
I love how she showed it both with a skirt and with pants.  And if camel isn't your color, it also comes in black and red.  LOVE.

For a budget-friendly option, this casual top by Bobeau is on sale right now at Nordstrom for $37.70.  Cute over dark jeans, pants, and in an oxblood color!

Image from nordstrom.com.
I am REALLY digging this next top for everyday wear! Am I going to break my start-with-one-piece-of-peplum rule?!  By Rebecca Taylor, this top is so easy over skinny black or denim pants with ballet flats!  Says 'hip mommy' to me.
Image from bloomingdales.com.
Finally, one last piece.  A fantasy piece.  Because at $2990, it's never coming home.  As much as I want it to.  Ridiculously fabulous.  The Row's Loxton jacket.  So simple, over a long-sleeve white t-shirt and skinny jeans with pumps.  That jacket stands all on it's own.  I need a moment.
Image from barneys.com.
And with that, I'll put this post (and myself) to bed.  Let us know what peplum piece you love! ~ JH

3 comments:

  1. Thank you. I did not know what peplum (not a peplum? Like in England they go to hospital, not the hospital?) was. Anyway, I saw a woman on Church Street today wearing a black top with exaggerated peplum in front but her bottom was cut out in the back so the pockets of her jeans were showing. Am not sure you would approve. Is there a name for such a configuration? Peplum removus comes to mind. As does derriere revealus. I'm just saying. Please keep the fashion education coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Reader! No name for that configuration, but there is some questionable peplum out there. Too many ruffles and puffs sometimes. Sounds like the sighting you had was memorable. Glad you enjoyed the post! ~ JH

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sisi from Helena, MontanaSeptember 16, 2012 at 10:17 AM

    Ladies- SO glad you are back & kiddos are in school!! I'm still unsold on the pemplum. Although the one I loved was the gorgeous one from Barneys.

    And similar to the anon reader I tried on a super cute leather vest that was longish in the front, like down to the tops of my thighs and the back had a cut out for my bottom. Like a frame for my bottom, a place I usually like to hide. I passed on the vest.

    ReplyDelete