Wednesday, June 27, 2012

W2WW On the Road - Kennebunk, Maine

Each summer, we escape to Maine for a bit.  And each summer, my FIRST stop (after the grocery store and the farm stand) is at Green Tangerine.

I seriously make a BIG shopping list and stock up on lots of summer goodies.  I wait until I get here to purchase my 'beach basics', from updated ("clean") beach flip-flops to cotton dresses and shorts to tunics.  I love the store and have shopped it for years.

Monday morning was the morning.  Dropped the girls at a little day camp and by 10:30am, I was ready to shop.  Caroline, the owner, was there, and after a big welcome and hug, I got down to business.

The beauty of Green Tangerine is that it has a range of price-points, the friendliest staff ever, as well as a HUGE amount of stock.  The array of brands is staggering and deep.  There was a full table of Michael Stars tops, an entire wall dedicated to Vineyard Vines, tables full of t-shirts and shorts, and this sweater table filled with sweaters by August Cashmere and 360 Cashmere. (Oh, and by the way, that Missoni-looking sweater in the middle is now mine.)
The selection of summer tops is the real reason I go nuts.  I always have a tough time finding a good non-t-shirt-t-shirt and Caroline stocks so many different brands (Michael Stars, Mystree, Splendid, Vince, Velvet, Lilla P, Triple Dot, etc.) and styles with such depth that I am bound to find something.  Today I scored an Ella Moss cotton top, a Lilla P cotton top, and a EMU Australia fine merino wool navy sweater (for the cooler nights in Maine).  I had no idea until this week that EMU made anything other than an Ugg-like boot.

I always say I'm not going to get anything but summer tops, but that rarely happens.  The cute summer dresses in all lengths (mini, knee, maxi!) beckon from their racks.  The dresses on this one rack are from Juicy Couture, Milly, Lilla P, and a host of others.

I couldn't help myself - I know, shocking.  I found this Velvet dress (in a slate blue rather than red) and had to pick it up.  With a new belt.  Super cute and wearable.
Image from shop.velvet-tees.com.
I wasn't in the market for tunics today, but there were lots of Gretchen Scott Designs and Barbara Gerwit tunics available.


And Caroline doesn't forget about your feet!  There are about a dozen, if not more, buckets and baskets of flip-flops all over the store, including Havaianas in the new 'braided' style.  See the gold ones in this photo?

And for those ladies liking a bargain, Caroline keeps a great sale corner in the back of the store; it's always fun to dig through and find a nugget!

Each winter, I think about taking a day trip to see what the winter stock looks like.  Maybe this winter will be the one.  If you find yourself in Kennebunkport or Kennebunk, it's worth a trip in Green Tangerine! And if you have a favorite resort boutique, please share with us! ~ JH
Unless noted, images from Jennifer Houston.

No comments:

Post a Comment