Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Holiday 2012: Party Attire

We are all in that pre-Thanksgiving lull right now before it all heats up.  That's right ladies, the Holidays (with a capital H) are upon us, and now is the time to sort out what outfits you might need this holiday season.  Not in a panic on a Saturday in December, 3 hours before a party.  Now.  I had a shopping appointment yesterday at Nordstrom with the lovely personal shopper Amy Swartz;  she pulled a room full of outfits as well as some skinny black coated jeans I needed and nude shoes (STILL searching for perfect nude pumps).
Images from Jennifer Houston.
I settled on 2 outfits and I'm having a debate with myself about whether or not to share them here.  After all, I'll be running into some of you on the holiday scene and want my outfits to have some sense of new-ness!  So, instead of going straight to what I bought, let's talk instead about what's out there this year.

Gold (and all strains of metallic) is (are) huge this year. I saw a lot of items in gold or with gold details.  And sparkle!  I actually purchased an item that was made with a gold/bronze metallic fabric and a dress with gold threading through the material. This top from L'Agence at Nordstrom was darling, but I just couldn't pull it off.  Over a pair of crisp black pants, it would be heavenly.  Please, someone try it so I can admire it!
Image from nordstrom.com.
I peeked into Club Monaco on Lisa's suggestion and they had some lovely holiday items (she thinks they have a great holiday line right now, and I agree).  The Rebecca dress is really on trend, with it's 'pale orchid' color and lines of sequins down the front.  It looked really easy to wear. 
Image from shopbop.com.
And yes, I know, it looks really short.  But you never know, and it might be a great tunic look when paired over leggings and heels?!  I actually considered trying that today but was running late and didn't have time to try.

I picked up a champagne-colored silk tunic this fall and have worn it to dinner events over black, cropped pants and heels with a gold, pendant necklace.  It's a simple, easy outfit to wear.  Here's one by Vince that is similar.
Image from nordstrom.com.
Take the gold out of the top and into a skirt, this like jacquard skirt from Zara.  Highlight the skirt detail by neutralizing the rest of the outfit with with black pumps, black tights, and a black blouse. 
Image from zara.com.
Enough about the gold; you get the idea.  Other things I saw today were sequins, and lots of them.  Not bad-wedding-sequins.  I tried on a couple of things with complete sequin coverage, like the Annabell Sequin top from Tory Burch.  Very easy to wear and full of holiday fun!  I had brought a pair of my black dress pants and black heels with me today, slipped this on, and could have gone to any holiday function straight from there (see me below).  It also comes in this amazing aspen green (green is very hot - see below); the black bow coordinates immediately with your black pants and voila!  Outfit!

Images from toryburch.com.
And here I am in that top at Nordstrom. (With a lot of nude pumps lined up!)
Image by Jennifer Houston.
At a lower price-point, J.Crew has this darling polka-dot sequin top, again, another easy outfit.  Comes in black with white dots, and like this, winter white with black dots.
Image from jcrew.com.
For those who dare, there are more than a couple of full-on sequin dresses out there this year.  No accessories needed; just pumps!  Rachel Zoe has one (also short, but if you have the legs, rock it!) as does Diane Von Furstenberg with her Merano long-sleeved dress
Image from bloomingdales.com.
I am amazed at how many sequins there are out there this season.  Check out CUSP's 'The Party Shop' collection of festive attire, ranging from sequined bags and shoes to jackets - tons of sparkle. 

Another big find this afternoon was 'Green'!  Apsen, forest, pine, and all the shades in between. I was a sucker for these rag & bone jeans (like I need another pair of jeans) but they fit so well, I fell in love.
Image from nordstrom.com.
I digress.  For holidays, I saw lots of green in many forms.  First, this Gibson blazer at Nordstrom is great over a column of black.  Very sharp and fun!
Image from nordstrom.com.
Lace was the last 'big thing' I noticed today.  In tops, dresses and skirts, here are a couple of pieces that Amy showed me today.  The Joie Marelia Lace top was fun; I already have a lace t-shirt in my closet, so I didn't need to add another even though it fit really well.
Image from nordstrom.com.
This navy lace dress, the Zarita by Diane von Furstenberg, would be great for a corporate or work holiday party.
Image from nordstrom.com.
Finally, combining 2 trends in one item without being tacky, this Cynthia Steffe sleeveless belted lace dress is a great option if you are craving the green with your lace.
Image from nordstrom.com.
Hope you enjoyed the mini-review of my shopping trip today; feels like you accompanied me to my appointment!  Let us know what you are finding for your holiday looks out there in retail-land! ~ JH

No comments:

Post a Comment