Wednesday, August 8, 2012

...It's Fall 2012: Leather

Most of us, at one time or another, have had a piece of leather in our wardrobes, other than shoes or handbags that is.  My first piece of leather apparel was purchased in high school; it was the leather bomber jacket that all the kids had, that I practically begged my parents to get for me.  Since then, there was a random pair of suede pants, back in the early 2000s (and only because they were on super sale!), and then a few years back, a lovely Vince jacket, sleek with paper thin leather - perfect for chilly New England spring evenings.  I've never been a huge leather girl.  Until now.

My obsession started slowly last winter.  I noticed there were a couple of cool dresses with leather trim on the cuffs of sleeves, some great jackets, and I found myself picking up a black Rag & Bone dress with leather trim.  I love it.  

And then, this spring, I found the holy grail.  A pair of Vince leather, cropped leggings (bootcut, not tapered to ankle).  On S-A-L-E.  50% off.  My size.  I was actually scared to try them on at first. Who was I kidding?  Can I really be 40+ and wear leather leggings?  Once they were on, I was surprised at how well they fit, how comfortable they were, and  (not bragging) how great they looked.  They smoothed out bumps and the boot cut ankle balanced them out on me.  Lisa was with me and I remember her looking me in the eye and saying "friends don't let friends leave these leather pants behind".  
Image from vince.com.
I didn't leave them behind, and my cost-per-wear from this spring has them almost paying me.  With a boxy linen sweater and heels, a white blazer and lace top under, or a draped blouse, these pants have been worn to death.  If you know me well, you are sick of seeing them.  

I honestly do not know how I functioned before them.  As they sit tucked away in my 'off season' closet (code for: my bedroom closet is ridiculously small for a clothes horse like me), I know I'll be breaking them out this fall as soon as the temperatures dip.

Fortunately for me and you, the stores will be FULL of leather this season.  And not just the expected jackets and skirts.  Pants, dresses and tops are all having leather moments this fall and winter.  With pants, it's just a different black/grey/brown pant with the leather making them interesting.  Dresses become edgier (read: I am less of a suburban mom with my leather trimmed dress on) and tops even more so with leather trim or in full leather.  Do not be scared!  Try a piece or 2 on!

This leather pant from Milly (yes, Milly, preppy designer is turning out leather leggings) appears to be really practical.  Wear them like you would wear jeans.  With ballet flats.  With pumps.  How cute are you at Back-to-School night in your leather pants?
Image from nordstrom.com.
Since not everyone is going to find a 50% off pair of leather pants/leggings, here are some real options too.  Zara has a pair of leather leggings for $399 that look really great. Definitely worth a look.
Image from zara.com.
Zara also has a faux-leather alternative, their rubberized leather effect leggings, for $79.90.  I'd want to try them on, but they look really good online and you can't beat the price.
Image from zara.com.
If the faux leather is too 'out there' for you and you're not sure if the real deal is a budget-buster or not, try some coated jeans - they give you the look of leather, but not the price!  These leatherette leggings by AG Adriano Goldschmied are super cool.
Image from agjeans.com.
Now, onto dresses.  You will find both leather-trimmed and full leather this season.  One of the best looking dresses, age-appropriate for us 40-somethings (i.e. an appropriate length), is by Banana Republic, and it might just be the deal of the year at $298.  Can you see this paired with cheetah print pumps?  Nude pumps?  At a cocktail party?  
Image from bananarepublic.gap.com.
If you want to go faux leather, this 'Vegan' dress by Sanctuary is a great option and a great price at  $159.
Image from piperlime.com.
And if full leather isn't your thing in a dress, there are tons of dresses out there with leather trim, partially done in leather, etc.  Theory makes a great option; this dress has a jersey top and leather skirt.  You can pair it with flats for a casual look or with pumps for an out-at-night look.  I kind of love it.
Image from net-a-porter.com.
Tops are even more interesting and edgy.  This Vegan leather peplum top by Tinley Road takes care of both the leather trend and the peplum trend this fall.  Affordable at $98, it looks cute over a pencil skirt, skinny jeans or over a black pant, creating a long and lean look.
Image from piperlime.com.
Finally, you can go really casual with the leather, and opt for a t-shirt with trim (the non-t-shirt-t-shirt!).  Patterson J. Kincaid makes a really cute leather-trimmed top that I can see easily over jeans.  Just hip enough for running around town.
Image from nordstrom.com.
Whatever your whim, seriously think about adding a piece of leather apparel or leather-trimmed apparel to your closet this winter.  You may find, like I did, you can't do without! ~ JH

2 comments:

  1. I would definitely wear a leather dress, but as for leather pants- the memory of that Friends episode flits through my brain...the one where baby powder was used! Not sure I'm ready! Maybe the next time around ;)
    Leigh

    ReplyDelete