Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Ode to a Coated Jean

Lisa, a good friend, and I were shopping back in August at Satellite Office West (i.e. Natick Mall) on evening.  We strolled into Madewell and were admiring their ballet flats and other shoes when one of the sales women started talking with us (ok, she recognized Lisa and came up to say 'hi').  While we were talking and walking around in Madewell shoes to see how they fit, we paused at a table with black, coated jeans

Now, a coated jean is a pair of denim jeans, typically black, that are coated with pigment to give it a wax-like finish.  They look and feel smooth, and from afar, the sheen is reminiscent of leather pants.

As Lisa and I paused at the table, the sales woman said, "You know Bunny from J.Crew?  She has a pair and loves them."  Bunny happens to be the super stylish lady who works in the Crewcuts section of J.Crew in the Natick Mall and we love her. Lisa and I took one look at each other, each grabbed a pair in our size, and headed to the dressing room.  It was love at first wear.
Images from madewell.com.
If that sales woman had never come up to us and told us about the pants, I personally would have NEVER tried them on. Why?  Their name: the "Skinny Skinny Ankle Coated Motorcycle Jean".  For those of you who know me, I am NOT "skinny skinny" and "motorcycle" doesn't really fit either (unless it's a great Vince leather moto jacket).

Once on, these jeans were FAN-TAS-TIC.  Super fitted, but not suffocating. You can dress them up with heels and a fun top OR down with a boyfriend sweater and ballet flats.  I personally like to have the ankle zipper zipped up half way, creating more of a 'boot cut' bottom (which I think is more flattering on someone not "skinny skinny").  Wear them as you would leather leggings.

Throughout the fall, I have been complimented on these pants numerous times (including one friend, who yelled to me out of her passenger window one morning while in school carline that she LOVED my pants).  Before they are gone, you might want to check them out and add them to your fall/winter wardrobe.  At least try them on.  You won't regret it!  ~ JH

No comments:

Post a Comment