Thursday, March 15, 2012

...you are attending an event with your husband's boss and his wife?

I went for a run this week with a friend who had this very question.  Here is her situation:
  • big, corporate fundraiser, not black tie, but dressy, at the end of April
  • husband's boss and wife have invited my friend and her husband to sit at their table
  • my friend has never met the boss or wife before
  • she told me that dress can't be too short, really shouldn't be too sexy, that she'd love a cap sleeve, and she was thinking of something navy or blue.
So, my first thought is 'cocktail dress'.  I promised my friend I would look into it, and here is what I've found.

I love this Marc by Marc Jacobs dress.  The lace over jersey makes it conservative with a little twist - the mid-section is interesting, but not revealing.  I'd pair it with a colored clutch too, but maybe some nude pumps instead of black.
Photo from net-a-porter.com.
This Rachel Roy dress is simple, but has a lovely draped back for some interest.  Love the not-quite-navy color of it as well.
Photo from nordstrom.com.
I love Reiss (a UK company) for dresses, and they have a couple that might fit the bill.  The Sophia dress is a great faux-wrap dress in cobalt blue.
Photo from reissonline.com.
The Magda dress from Reiss is also great - another cobalt blue - with which you can wear a nude pump and call it a day. (Full disclosure - I purchased this dress this spring because it fit so ridiculously well. Don't have an occasion for it, but can't wait to wear it!)
Photo from reissonline.com.
This next dress is a great one from Elie Tahari at Bloomingdales.  The silhouette is classic, but the lace overlay makes it current.  Not too trendy, yet not boring.  My only concern about this dress is the length - might it be too short?  Or, is the model too tall?
Photo from bloomingdales.com.
How about a wardrobe staple, a la Kate Middleton?  This Issa dress at Bloomingdales is a solid little black dress.  (Kate Middleton wears a lot of Issa.) They aren't cheap (at $555) but they are completely fabulous.  The dress is a silk jersey, faux wrap, which means no fidgeting around with a wrap.
Photo from bloomingdales.com
Diane Von Furstenberg makes great dresses, although most of the time, they are too short in length for me to consider.  This DVF dress, the Jori, in purple (also comes in cherry and blue jay) is pretty fabulous though.  The length looks to hit right above the knee, and the classic style will keep it in your closet for years.
Photo from dvf.com.
DVF also made this lace overlay dress - the Zarita dress - featured at bloomingdales.com.  It screams cocktail dress, but I would go bare legged with it with a nude pump for the illusion of endless legs.
Photo from bloomingdales.com.
I hope that gives my friend a good place to start!  You know who you are, and I'm happy to help with more choices!  ~ JH

No comments:

Post a Comment